Sunday, December 30, 2012

pan roasted spinach

My dream, one of them anyway, at least the one that right here and now i think is my dream, is to open small, tiny restaurant where i am the chef. There is different daily menu made up from food items i feel like cooking everyday. It will have only five or six tables. Staff will only be myself, one helper and one waiter. It will be indoors but with floor to ceiling removable windows. The chairs will all be different but the tables all the same. I don't like restaurants with tables that are different heights. All my tables will be the same. They'll probably be a dark cream with purple tablecloths. Heavy velvet deep purple tablecloths. I know dry cleaning will be a hassle, but they are the kind of tablecloths i want for my restaurant where I'm going to cook. It will be very bright in the morning and very cozy at night, probably played with some clever lighting trick. Most of the chairs will have arms, but not all of them. One wall will be covered, and the rest bare. It'll probably be covered with personal family and friends' pictures and places. I will give the place the feel that it's mine, in every sense. The floors will not be carpeted, of course, it's a restaurant. They'll be a sort of ceramic or porcelain that makes loud sound with clicks of women's heels. There will be many chandeliers. One made exactly like the big one we have at home now with the swinging angel girls. I do not know if they're angel girls but that's what i consider them to be. I'll make natural scents everyday. Probably in mason jars with lots of lemon and basil. It'll have a stone fireplace that is concealed in the summertime. The waiter, or waitress, will not have a uniform. They can wear whatever they want with a large deep purple apron with my restaurant's name on it. Each day's menu will have a little story attached, similar to the posts on this blog but maybe more cheerful than most.
My kitchen will be as big as the seating area. It will be immaculate. All white. Its layout will be similar to the kitchen in the Ratatouille cartoon; an island center with the stove and counters all around and a huge sink in the corner. All the serving plates will be flat. Unless it's a soup or curry of something of that sort, then it will be a bowl. I don't know why i like flat dishes. but i want the food to be almost like a centerpiece of every diner's experience.
I want to cook. to really cook. breakfast items will include everything from a simple omelette wrap to my own inventions of, say, cream cheese with truffles and capers served with thin thyme bread crisps. Lunch will be lots of seafood. Soft sea bass with rosemary roasted potato slices; prawns dipped in lemon mint cream sauce; sea-salted calimari grilled with pan roasted spinach. Even a tuna salad in a bed of lettuce. Dinner will be all the meats, chicken, vegetables, and curries that i can throw together. But then some days all i will make are grilled cheese sandwiches with a choice of salad. Then other days all i will have are chocolate-based foods. Most days a movie will be playing out, projected on one of the bare walls. mostly silent, but maybe not. some days i will go all out and play some silent Ingmar Bergman stuff. These will probably be the vegetarian nights.
My restaurant will be full of light and cheer and appreciation for all things good. And i will name it after my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment