Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Take me somewhere

Take me away from here. Take me somewhere where love is like breathing
--John Legend

Lyrics used to have such an overwhelming effect on me. They still move me, but just a bit. But John hit a nerve. It sounds beautiful, "take me away from here." Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing? It's not that here is bad, it's not. It's home and it's beautiful. But even home should be escaped every once in a while. I'm talking about a permanent escape this time, to somewhere where love is like breathing. Where everything isn't so damn difficult. Where you don't think twice about the accuracy of a simple answer to an even simpler question. Where crossing the street isn't physically strenuous. Where it's okay to wear running pants down the street without layering to conceal their tightness. Where you can open a window and not hear the sounds of cars honking an out-of-tune disaster. Where you don't wait to watch the news every night just to listen to what different issue is up the country's ass tonight. Where most people, most, don't fall under one of the categories of fake, dull, ignorant, or fed up. Where everyone and everything is not drained.
Drained. I think this is the word I've been searching for here. It's not a about a country or a place being drained, but about a whole lifestyle and phase.
So take me somewhere where love is like breathing. Where i can trust. Where i can ask a question three times and get one answer. That'd be wonderful. Where i can cross the street without remembering dodgeball. Where the air is clearer. Where a fifteen minute drive really takes fifteen minutes, imagine that. Where shoes aren't worn out after a few wears. Where hands stay clean outdoors. Where the beach is simple. Where work is not an infinite loop, and has a start time and an end time. Where everything is simple. Where I have the energy to do something nice for someone. Where people show appreciation. Where I am not expected to answer fifty phone calls a day that really don't say much. Where I am not judged for all that I am and all that I am not. Where everything is simple. Not necessarily easy, but simple. Where there is more love, and where love is not draining.
Take me somewhere where love is like breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment