Wednesday, December 2, 2009

avoiding the easy way out

If you're as single as i am, you've probably thought about this a thousand times. How convenient would it be to have someone to go see the random movie with? someone who always has a minute for you, who's on speed dial that you actually use, that you can make three second calls to a hundred times a day. Someone who worries about you, just you.
Im blessed with wonderful friends and family who do all that. But they care love and worry about me amidst a whole tight circle of others. Their attention is not just mine.
Sometimes i entertain the thought of taking the easy way out. Just say yes to the random friend, aunt, friend's mother in law, neighbor's aunt who thinks she knows someone that would be a perfect match for me. We would both be from polite, well educated families. We would both spend summers on the coast. We would both work with our families and in the weekends join friends at expensive restaurants. We would both have had our share of traditional world travel. We would have a perfectly elegant engagement party then start planning for a traditional wedding the the Four Seasons Nile Plaza.
I entertain the thought for one day, max, then i barf at it. I know its disgusting to say barf but the thought itself is disgusting.
While venting all this out to a friend, he came up with a very important boost to my ego, "Mona, you have incredible positive energy, its very noticeable about you, don't lose that." Those might not have been the exact words, but the context was the same. And you know what? i DO have too much positive energy to waste that one someone who is just "convenient"
I believe in the dream, i want to fairy tale. And my biggest flaw probably is that i KNOW i WILL get the fairy tale. I just know. i have no idea how, when, or most importantly who, but it's all gonna come. Sometimes i get tired of waiting for it or seeking it. But my fairy tale is gonna be worth it.
I will have someone to share the world with. I don't like sharing but i will want to share. I'll have someone who wants travel with me. Who's so full of ambition, who's gonna be a star someday. I want someone who believes in me. Who believes in our youths and all what we could do with it. I am not planning to give up anything or substitute even an inch of the perfectness i want. I want someone so full of faults, so imperfectly perfect for me.
I'll get it i know, sometimes waiting is hard. But i believe in rewards. Even if i don't get it, im still growing beautifully and having a blast doing that. It's gotta be worth the interruption and i know it will be.

3 comments:

  1. my talented blogger and dear friend
    i just want you to know that the man of your dreams will not fall in your living room out of the sky
    although God has planned your meeting and some how and some way he will find you, you must do your part too.
    have you considered that maybe he son of our moms friend is not a complete boring pile of shit?
    isnt the amazing person that you are also his moms friend's daughter?
    i do not want to be pushy but running in the same circles will not get you anyone different if you are not planning to fall in love with one of your best friends.
    maybe one of these guys you have been rejecting before seeing is mr right waiting and he is patient like you he might not like all the girls around him like you
    he might be flirting with the idea of meeting you but scared that it would not be the most romantic way.
    in the states people are going on blind dates everyday
    internet dating has brought couples to the honeymoon
    here in egypt the only way to see different people is to trust others who will bring candidates like friends and aunts
    you have to be flexible and you do not have to announce it in your blog that you are going to meet him and if he is not the man of your dreams the next one might be and if the next one does not match your dreams the next one will
    many of the couples i know today who are hopelessly in love have found each other through friends
    in fact i just introduced to people to each other who thought they were both lovely
    my sister also introduced our cousin to her husbands friend and now they are happily married with a baby carriage
    do not be picky about the ways and the people who bring you to the man of your dreams
    enjoy the meetings the picking and everything it is a journey
    when it is right it will happen just do not close open doors you never know if that boring friend of your moms knows a really good guy who might be the reasons you have butterflies
    just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  2. tous u just made me re read my post. i didnt mean for it to sound so deep.
    i was merely pointing out a choice we sometimes think about: whether or not it might be right to do something u never wanted to do. bas keda.
    im not announcing anything or meeting anyone just yet.
    im not chasing love. anything you chase runs away. im very grateful and my life is complete, i wouldnt add or remove anything that would threaten the serenity i have now. thats why im not forcing any change. i like things as they are for the next while.
    i just got caught up while writing this piece and blurted my heart out. sometimes i forget that what i write on this blog goes public. i know i have to be more careful but then again im not saying anything that isn't true
    im big on giving everything a chance, but only when i really want to.
    i've got a brilliant career for me to shape. right now im worried about that. if mr right happens to appear in the meantime, he's more than welcome

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Tousa's right.
    And I believe in fairy tales. Sometimes I feel I'm in a fairy tale...only I'm stuck in the ugly part...the part that's two scenes away from the happy ending...And I'm just stuck there...If I didn't believe in fairy tales...I would get myself out of this scene and rewind the movie to start it over with another Mr. Right. (yes, I believe there's more than one Mr. Right for every woman). But think about this, (because I don't want to be mis-interpreted): Fairy tales show you the happy endings...the part where they kiss and get married...but that's it...the story ends at the wedding...never was there a fairy tale where it shows you their everyday life in their home together...get what I mean?

    ReplyDelete