Monday, December 21, 2009

I'm sorry Hossam

This morning i was playing tennis, like every monday morning. there was a ball boy picking up my stray balls; just one more of the random boys whose face i can't put a name to. This one was Hossam; he looked about 11 or so. Cute kid, with an almost pretty face, the kind who drifts off in his own world and snaps back to reality at the call of his name.
Anyway Hossam was a cute kid but not the best ball boy. He was a bit slow in returning balls to my ever-energetic coach. At one point he was at the net with his back to me, and i was too caught up to notice him as i smashed a return ball across the net. It hit him in the back of his head. It smashed into his skull taking him by surprise. He put his hand on his head for three seconds then he went right back to work.
I, however, had started apologizing and could not stop. I kept repeating that i was sorry and if he was okay over and over again till my coach started laughing and blurted the words that inspired this post, "Mona, it's okay he's fine he can take it."
I feel like a rich, horrible, spoiled brat writing this. Why was he okay?! if it were me that was hit by that same ball i would've have screamed out in pain and given hell to whoever hit me. Hossam didn't though. it angered me that he seemed fine, almost used to getting hit in the head with a ball. Why should he endure the pain? or maybe it isn't painful to him.
i don't know im just very angry and confused. Im angry at myself for hurting a poor little kid and angry at the kid for not being more angry with me and angry at the world because im rich and can get away with anything and he's poor and has to shut up in order to keep his job.
it made me feel like getting injured and shutting up about it came with the job. Its bad enough that he's working for a living at this age. it's the humiliation of getting hit and that event passing by ever so 'normally' pisses me off. I could swear after seeing the ball collide with his skull i got a headache in the same spot on my own head. That made me feel like even more of a rich bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment