Sunday, March 21, 2010

happy cursing at the momma's day

today is mothers' day. it is a joyous occasion on which we are supposed to express our love and appreciation of our beautiful mothers an try once and again to repay them everything they have done for us and realize that in doing all that we can, we can never give them as much as they gave us. It is a day we are supposed to remember that they love us unconditionally, no matter how much we fret and give them a hard time with everything. we are supposed to stop and take in every reason why our mothers are beautiful, and let them know how much we truly love them.

and my sweetness ends here

today i took the momma out for some pampering and one-on-one quality time. driving to get somewhere i had to turn the car around. now i know im a semi-capable driver and i wasn't taking long at all, i can be above-average efficient when it comes to maneuvering aroung tight Cairo streets. anyway, mid turn this a**hole of a microbus driver yells at me, "hurry, we wanna pass!" the right thing to do then was ignore him but of course i had to bellow out my open window, "and what do i think i wanna do? just sit here? i wanna pass too!" and i did yell this out pretty angrily. anyway i guess i touched a nerve on his uneducated, lower class, male ego that he started cursing at me. well, first at me, then using "your mother" curses. luckily i drove away before i could have heard to much of it.

of course my mom was sitting shaking her head at me wondering aloud when i am going to learn to keep that angry mouth of mine shut.

that wasn't what i was thinking about though. i was thinking that it's fuckin' mothers' day. why not be pleasant? clearly the older woman sitting next to me is my mother, or at least someone's mother. couldn't we leave her out of this cursing war just for one day? i mean, why do we, as a population, curse at each other using mothers anyway? why can't someone insult me for me, and not bring my beloved mother into this?

now if i were a guy, carrying around an anger like mine, i would probably smashed right into his pathetic microbus then picked a physical fight and thrown a few punches. but i am not. so i settled for denial, regression, and humor. i told my mom that i would be showing her a different kind of mother's day every year. this just happened to be the year we get cursed at by a stranger on the street.

never a boring day Cairo, never a boring day.

No comments:

Post a Comment