Thursday, January 17, 2013

long day

I read something funny this week. Someone made a comment somewhere about how the most appropriate answer to the "long day?" question is that no, they're all the same length.
It was funny then.
But i did have a long day today. Not long in the number of hours but long in events.
I woke up at about 7:00 and received a message about ten minutes into the day that there has been a break down in one of our staff buses and there were now about twenty Canadian expats standing on the side of a Cairo highway waiting for back up transportation to work. After a relay of messages and phone calls, i could start my own day knowing everyone was back where they were supposed to be.
I actually got some work done this morning, which is unusual for a Thursday. But two of our administrative team were missing so that've might've bean the reason behind my busyness. I left work at 1:15 to go to a work lunch across town. We've just signed another expat and it's her first visit to our corner of the world. Nice lady. I could see us working together. She has a daughter that seems like such a perfect little pre-teen, I hope the world doesn't mess her up. In the middle of lunch, i get news that the same problematic bus from this morning has now ben involved in an accident and consequently a fist fight. Took a while, but it was dealt with. Other than that, lunch was chill. I love the outdoors when it's sunny but not hot. After that was over, I picked up the nephews and started the long, slow journey back to Heliopolis. Sometimes traffic can be at a complete standstill, and that's horrible, and other times it goes but very very slowly with all the cars trying to inch and extra inch onto the next lane. And that's even worse. Drive back took over an hour. With three whiny kids. Well, in all honestly, they started out whiny but then the entertainment gadgets came out and each was occupied (read: i had to give up my iPhone to shut one up).
Right at the edge of Heliopolis is our government's statistics building. On in, in huge lit up numbers, is a changing population count. The kids found that extremely interesting and i couldn't believe they'd never noticed it even though they ride on the route every week. I had to answer questions like how does the government know that someone was born or that someone died in order to adjust the population count accordingly. I have become really good at telling kids, "I don't know for sure."
The kids were starving as they hadn't had lunch. I ordered McDonald's for them right away. I think that is the main reason they sleepover on the weekend. We let them eat junk. Once a week, at that age, couldn't possibly be so harmful.
I put them in the next room for now. With the food and Disney channel on. And i can hear them being boys. And i sat down to write this. Then i'll watch one of my shows.
Long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment