Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Carrefour Trek

Im only blogging about this to release the frustration
Yesterday i was driving from work to maadi via the da2ery. i needed to buy at gadget from radioshack, chocos for a friend, and coffee was an appealing idea. Like the whizz i think i am i convince myself to make a 'quick stop' at Carrefour, where all three would be available. I made the fateful right turn into the Carrefour tunnel, parked, and walked in. BIG MISTAKE!
i hadn't realized that yesterday was exactly six days away from Ramadan. I wont go into Pre-Ramadan Egyptian Grocery Shopping Habits because that will take up the rest of the day to describe. This post is not to complain but to describe; and i have a lot to describe of my little trek.
i may not be a humongous lady in a 3abaya but im no midget either. to be physically pushed out of the way, meaning my legs actually leave the ground and my position shifts involuntarily, takes no easy brush up. Seriously, the women in there were pushing an and shoving others out of the way, jamming shopping carts into each other in resemblance of bumper cars, leaving merchandise all over the floor, cutting in line, shouting orders to employees, and basically acting like the friggin' jungle on parade.
cliche but it cant go without mention, EVERYONE in there needed a shower, quick.
At one point i get a phone call and my friend on the line literally goes, "where are you? a demonstration?" seriously it was that loud. To top off the screaming customers, some sort of PA system was blaring out Carrefour offers.
After a dreadfully long day i needed more than a coffee to fix the mess my Carrefour Trek created. i grabbed my frappe and my million little shopping bag and my sorry ass back to the car to maadi. i wanted to kiss the floor of my vehicle in appreciation of the space, the pleasant smell, the soothing music that replaced the blaring announcer, and the two extra meters of personal space.
Lesson to be learned from wasting your time reading this: avoid Carrefour till the fifth tuesday morning after eid.

No comments:

Post a Comment