Saturday, February 13, 2010

sleep tight

as kids, we avoid sleep. as grown ups (or the pseudo grown ups we are) we long for it and cherish its value. personally, i get pissed off when i wake up earlier than necessary on weekends. I love getting sleepy at 9:30 and using it as an excuse to get into bed.
sleep is a recharge. it is a force on your body and mind to shut down. when sleep comes everything else seems trivial, nothing cant wait till tomorrow.
i love those last moments before you drift off, and those first ones when you wake up. It always seems to me that this is when we're at our most transparent. Given the chance, we say whatever we want to whomever we want. Call me childish but that is why i learned to keep my phone and computer away when im falling asleep. the honesty of those moments is just so tempting. i think in terms of everything being so little and unimportant, what does it matter that i tell a little secret before bed? or send a rude message to someone who had pissed me off during the day? it is only after we send stuff like that that leads to "wtf have i done?!" the following morning. Sleep induced messaging is my form of drunk dialing.
the best kind of sleep though is when you don't set an alarm. the kind when you wake up wondering what time it is, and which day it is sometimes. on those rare occasions, stall looking at the time, enjoying my time-ignorant bliss.

2 comments:

  1. Hear, hear! My personal favourite is the moment before falling asleep. Not a fan of the waking up bit so much!

    ReplyDelete