Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Nail polish

I've always had a thing with my nails. I'm a biter. When i was very young, toddler-ish, my mother noticed that she had stopped cutting my nails. Apparently my teeth had found their way and baby clippers were no longer needed. I never really grew out of this disgusting but soothing habit. I stop for days and maybe weeks at a time. And during these breaks, nail polish comes in.
I am the best at spending half an hour working on my nails, then as soon as they're wet and shiny, i decide to do something stupid like put a sweatshirt on or search for my keys in the very bottom of my bag. Then i start all over again. There is something greatly soothing about picking a color, removing the color before, washing hands, filing, moisturizing, applying base, applying a coat or two of color. and watching all that dry. It really is very soothing. I think it is the combination of the hand movement and level of concentration. Everything else fades into the background.
The strokes of color and the difference in shades as it dries, it gives the mind something simple to do. The idea of caring of your own hands is in itself soothing. I do not know how men survive without this ritual. I especially love nail polish under water. In a pool during summer. I never get tired of changing colors or worry about messing up and starting over. In fact, the most fun i have is starting over. But then i lose track, forget to change it for even one day or get preoccupied. Then i start biting again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment