Monday, October 12, 2009

Are We Human?

"Pay my respects to grace and virtue
Send my condolences to good
Give my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could
And so long to devotion
You taught me everything I know
Wave goodbye
Wish me well..
You've gotta let me go"
--Human by The Killers

Admit it, as an adult, how many times have you had the thought, "why can't people just be nice to each other and we all get along?" Because in the adult world, the getting-along ceases to exist. It's always a struggle, major or minor it is and it it will always be a struggle. We grow up with the ideas of life getting easier and are bitten in the ass by the truth that it doesn't.

Cue in a major decision each and every one of us has to take: stick to naivety or toughen up. Many, I assume, make the decision subconsciously. We find our attitudes changing, closely followed by our behavior. More and more we change to counter the bombshells thrown at us by unforgiving circumstances. As we change, we forget how we used to be. Then we remember. When I remember i am forced again to make the choice whether to live in peace, allowing others to overpower me, or to join the struggle. And in joining the struggle you do get more, but you also lose more of yourself.

Im talking about the little things as well as the big things. Like do you lose your temper with people who deserve it or do you smile and hold it in? Do we take revenge on those who did us wrong or do we forgive and forget? Do we seriously hurt people who deserve it? Or those who don't? These ideas are coming from work, but they can be applied to all sorts of relationships in our lives. How long can we defend the concept of unconditional love? I'll tell you something, I stopped defending it. If unconditional love really exists it'll defend itself. But it never comes through, does it?

I quoted the above lyrics because they embrace the meaning of growing up. Im not saying there is no grace or virtue, but they no longer stand on their own. There's a price for everything and an opportunity cost as well. We are idiotic to assume that grace is only grace and it will always be there. It won't. And we gotta live with the fact and learn to accept it.

For the sake of lightheartedness i'll post the song and if anyone actually reads this they can enjoy the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment