Tuesday, October 20, 2009

for love of the game

Last night i finally hit the tennis courts again. Bliss, sweaty, tiring, bliss. Im no pro but i really do lose myself in the game. I adore my coach. And for exactly one hour, it's just us and the ball and the swinging and hitting.

People have different indulgences, like fishing or golf or something gay like that. I see sports in general as an indispensable release of energy. No wonder an adrenaline rush feels so great. But tennis, especially where i play, is so much more than a game, energy release, adrenaline source, or even exercise. It is a passion, it a moment when all i care about in life ca be defined so closely as the ball landing on the inside of the line after a smash that sends it like a bullet.

But this point isn't about my tennis skills, it's about my tennis pride and dreams. I happened to have the time slot right after my dad and his friends' game. My dad is so awesome in his consistency and commitment to the game through the years. So just as they were finishing up, i was warming up. I hadn't played in over three months but the will to impress gave my skill a boost. He sat court-side and watched me play. I wanted to impress him so bad; especially that the tennis courts at the club are our home away from home and everyone knows everyone. Everyone watching or playing knew who he was and knew that i was his daughter.

For the time he was watching, i really gave a 110% of myself. I was tired as hell, having been a lazy ass for a while, but it was worth it. It was more than worth it when i played a really good few shots, scoring a few against my coach, and my dad actually cheered out and called my name and called great play. I tell you it felt like graduation, like a championship, like winning race, like something that makes you so damn proud.

I didn't even care that my wrist was badly strained, my shoulders hurt and my arms feel like spaghetti now.

I have many dreams, many of them simple, all of them huge. I dream to become my dad's tennis partner. I strive to train to be at his level. I want to compete against others alongside him and beat their asses on the court.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should have named this "for love of the father". You made me cry. We all strive to impress him. I share this with you. Except, you actually do it most of the time, meanwhile, I fail most of the time.

    ReplyDelete