Wednesday, October 21, 2009

beggin, beggin u

I don't like to 'hate' but for lack a of a better description, i hate the overcrowded, heavily polluted, permanently jammed, repulsively loud, uncomfortably crammed, and uncontrollably irritating corner of Cairo that is Mohandessin. Never ever has my trip there been a good experience.

Today i took a moment to absorb the atmosphere and try to make something of it. I challenged myself to like something. However i was distracted; distracted by the incessant knocking against my car window by women who all look the same trying to sell tissues that all look the same. And out of the car there were older men who also looked the same bluntly asking for money. Now i was frustrated because something very unusual happened today: i left home without my wallet. I literally did not have any money to give them. Beggars popping out on the street filled my pool of thought all the way home.

Beggars are beggars, doesn't matter where they are. Although i dislike the trend, there is one crucial fact that cannot be overlooked: they are poor, i am rich. They are begging to make a living while i glorify my pride. That's that, there is no other way around it. We can make up a million excuses that will keep us from sparing them change, insert the likes of 'teach a man to fish' here. We might not owe them, but we owe humanity the change we give them. I can be honest with myself and admit that no time in the near future am i donating any of my precious spare time to help those in need or to make Cairo a better place. Therefore, i will donate my few pounds or so to the man 40 years my senior asking me for it at a building entrance.

I had another interesting thought that i am now completely convinced of: these beggars are God's small tests to us. He sends them to us everyday to see how we treat them. I am one of those firm believers in the wealth we have not being ours. God gave it and God can take it away. I believe that as long as we are generous in giving it away and sharing it, He will not take it away. The moment we start to become selfish, hoarding all our cash to pay for our every need and want, God will remind us to share. When a beggar approaches, they are not asking for a small fortune, most of the time they are very pleased with a few pounds. I have no idea why we would feel the urge to turn them away. Even if it is an act, who cares? i still feel guilty for being richer than they are and refusing meager help.

I am regretting every beggar i ever turned away, or even worse, every little lie of "i don't have any money" that i told. Today i really had no money and i wanted to give them each a little something. It might not make their lives any better but at least it will pay some for their hours of wandering in sagging, dirty clothes while i sit comfortably in my car with my ipod pleasantly on shuffle.

3 comments: