Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mobinil is home

For some this topic I'm about to blabber on might seem insignificant, but it really is a big deal when you think about it.

For a few months i've been contemplating changing my cellular network. I want to make the bold move from Mobinil to Vodafone. We know they're pretty much the same. Vodafone might provide better blackberry service and definitely has more friendly/helpful customer service, but other than that they're six of one thing and half a dozen of another.

The thing is, i need a new phone and Vodafone will 1. give it to me for free and 2. give me better service and 3. provide better support

But its not easy to break away from Mobinil. In fact its very difficult.

See, to me, Mobinil is way more than a sucky cellular network service provider. Mobinil is Egyptian. It was started by an Egyptian. It was the first cellular network in Egypt. Back in the day it displayed 602 01 on our phones. A good while after Mobinil was launched Vodafone was launched. Of course it was then called Click before it evolved. I've had my same number for almost 12 years. i've grown to cherish the "012" that has now been replaced by o18's 019's 017's and so on and so forth.

Mobinil gives me a sense of belonging. It's a part of Egypt. I believe them when they say they have the widest coverage. Not like im going to go trekking in the western desert or anything but its still reassuring that they cover the area.

Mobinil is personal. We share a history. My number isn't just a series of numbers that connect phones, it describes me. I never thought i'd send out one of those annoying messages, "Hi this is my new number. Mona" I still dont intend to. Moving to a new number would mean loss of identity. I probably wouldn't even memorize it. I'd just be another name in another phonebook.

I am proud of Mobinil when they come up with a creative ad campaign. Im proud to belong to it it. I diss their service but im slightly offended when someone else does, especially if its a Vodafoner.

I can even compare Mobinil to Cairo: I love it but i don't like it. Mobinil may suck but it's home.

2 comments:

  1. u can keep ur number and be vodaphone
    thats what many pple do u can keep ur 012

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know but i like belonging to mobinil. its pathetic but true

    ReplyDelete